Wednesday

Twilight



On Friday night, like pretty much everyone else, George and I went to go see Twilight. Overall, I enjoyed the film. I am always a bit skeptical when it comes to adapting a novel to the big screen. I know that it is impossible to capture every nuance and detail without having a five hour behemoth instead of a feature film. It is (in my opinion) a job well done when the spirit and essence of the book is preserved and the characters stay on the paths intended for them by the author. The Hardwicke adaptation of Twilight did an adequate job (with moments of greatness interspersed throughout) of preserving the dreary splendor of Meyer's book. The acting was pretty good and most of the casting was very well done (Rosalie??). I had only one major beef with the Twilight film, regarding Edward's pivotal moment when he removes James' venom from Bella's hand. This is supposed to be a metamorphic moment for Edward, when he realizes that there is no physical compulsion that can overcome his love for Bella. This was lost in the film, with Carlisle nearly having to pull Edward's fangs out himself to stop Bella from being killed. My displeasure with this one part of the film did little to detract from my overall entertainment, especially when compared to the obnoxious teenage girls who kept laughing hysterically every time Bella and Edward had a serious/romantic moment. I was somewhat annoyed by that. It was all worth it, though, because about half way through the movie, I heard the words "Stawp Laughing" -the nasal intonation of a 40-something Team Edward member who was tired of having her fantasy disrupted by giggling. The comic relief of that moment alone was worth the price of admission.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I saw it and thougth that it was good, very good in fact. The movie actually did the book justice, excellent director. Bella was great. I cannot wait for 2, 3, and 4.

Natasha said...

I haven't seen it yet hopefully I can go tommarow with staci

Scrap Happy Mommy of 2 said...

Yeah, we still haven't seen it! We are such slackers here in UT!

Jamie and Lindsey said...

I agree, I loved it too! I didn't read the books but my sister-in-law said the same thing about Edward having a hard time stopping in the movie. I have no complaints. . .I'd see it again.