Monday

Father's day

Well, I thought I could get Amy to post on the blog, but I only got her to post a couple things. So for father's day, a day in which sacrament meeting was nothing out of the ordinary, no tribute to father's, no little chocolate treat as we exited a sacrament meeting that had no primary songs being sung in appreciation of us fathers, I will post a little story about one of my fondest memories of my father. Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Begin Story

One day, a father named Raul decided to take his son Jorge to get a haircut. They lived in a city called Pepper Lake City, in the state of Me-tah. Raul woke Jorge up early one saturday morning to go down to a barber shop and get their hair cut. (The rest of the story will now be told from Jorge's perspective to his father Raul). I loved that day, it made me so happy to get to spend time with you, just me and you. I loved it so much. I was only six or seven years old, but I can still remember almost every detail. We walked down to the barber shop, and we talked the whole way down there. You talked to me about what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I said I wanted to be a fighter pilot.

You told me I had to get good grades and have good vision. I remember telling you about the things I could see that were far away, and you couldn't see them. I was so proud of my good vision, and I think because of that day, I still am, it is one of the traits that I am so happy with. I know one day it is going to fade, and I will have to get glasses or contacts, or Lasik surgery, or something, and I dread that day. I am going to be one of those people where I know I will be stubborn and say my vision is fine, and not want to get glasses or contacts, or anything. But I also remember that we walked for quite a ways. We went to the barber shop and it was closed. Honestly I don't remember if it was just closed for the day, or we were too early, or if it wasn't there anymore. I didn't really care, as long as I got to spend time with my dad, who I looked up to so much.

After we couldn't go to the barber, we went and got some doughnuts and orange juice and milk. I remember the little carton of oj I got and the donut. It was a crumb donut, and a cinnamon roll, and I have loved those two flavors of donuts ever since. That day was such a fun day, twenty years later, I remember it like it was yesterday. In fact, I probably remember some things about it better than things I did yesterday! But I would definitely say that is my best memory. I know it doesn't seem like much, but everything you said and everything we did resonated with me, and helped shape me into what I am today. I remember when you said that it was important I get good grades so I could be a pilot. That had a bigger impact on my grades than anything until I was in High School. Dad, school was very hard for me. I did not like to do all the busy work, and assignments that I thought were a waste of time. There were so many assignments that I did and were so pointless and brainless that I didn't even remember what they were the next day. I can say that looking back.

I thought they were pointless then, and I agree today that most of those were pointless. Not all of my school assignments were, but a vast majority of them. But I did them because I knew I needed to get good grades. As I got to high school, I was too tired of it and they started to slip until I was able to take more challenging classes.

I don't remember anything that happened that day after we got home, but the time I spent alone with my dad will always be clear in my mind.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Oh what a nice memory. Happy Father's Day. Sorry it did not turn out to be much of a special day. Our sacrament meeting was the same as yours. We even had two young men, and two adult men speak, along with the choir singing a hymn medly. Nothing special for the dads. :( Well hopefully next year will be better.

Amy said...

Happy Father's Day! What a great post. Glad you changed the names to protect the innocent :). Anyway, my sacrament meeting was all about Father's. It was really good. Guess you have to go to a singles ward to be appreciated as a father... kind of ironic. Although since my singles ward is 31-45 there are probably quite a few fathers. The sister's even made homemade pies for all the guys.... I didn't stay for that part.