Sunday

She's Crafty....

For the year of 2009, my goal is to become super crafty. By the end of the year, I want to be able to sew or otherwise make a good portion of the clothes the girls wear myself. I am happy to report that during the month of January, I have made progress.

1. I learned how to knit. I just got a book and started trying stuff. I am actually really glad that I started with knitting for reasons I will cover later in this post. This is one of my few completed knitting projects because it TAKES FOREVER for me to knit. This bun cover was relatively easy and only took me about 45 minutes to complete. Kate wore it to ballet class on Saturday and she said that it was a hit.

2. I learned how to crochet. I started with knitting because the word "knit" is less intimidating to me than the word "crochet". It is a good thing that I started with knitting because I am not sure that I would have practiced knitting as much as I did during the last couple of weeks had I known how much faster crocheting would be. I started to crochet yesterday and I have already made a bunch of stuff, including the above scarf and hat that George hates. He says that my hat looks like I have a fuzzy caterpillar on my head. I don't care, because I designed it and I made it and to me, that is the coolest thing ever. Hence, the sunglasses. :)

3. I learned how to operate my sewing machine. Yes, I purchased a sewing machine way back in 2001. I tried to use it once, but the thread kept snapping and I decided that I was not cut out for operating a sewing machine. I have spent the last 8 YEARS convinced that I am too lame to use it. I have also spent a little bit of time studying an assortment of mechanical objects (actually, a lot) so when I pulled the thing out (still threaded in the same BASS-ACKWARDS way I tried to do it way back when) I had it running seamlessly (no pun intended) in less that 2 minutes. All I can say is that I am glad that I did not wait any longer.

7 comments:

Jamie and Lindsey said...

Good for you! I'd love to learn to sew myself. I've done a little but I can't say I love it yet. You can get really good and then teach me how someday, okay?

Natasha said...

Yeah for you I am so proud the hat is just cool. Sean's mom tried to teach men to crochet once but I never really got into it. I have however learned a little bit of sewing from Staci and I want to get my own machine and make the girls some stuff.

Amy said...

Way to go Amy! My mom will be so proud of you! I love your hat and scarf. Tell George if he keeps making fun of it, you are going to make him one just like it and force him to wear it. Ha! Ha!

Reuel and Ana said...

way to go amy. my mom knit and crochet so much we put yarn and needles in her coffin.
love
anandad

Stephanie T said...

Nice job! I think the hat is way cool. Guess what?! Wicked is playing in SFO over our 30th birthday celebration. We totally have to go!

andrea said...

Looking good. I really want to learn how to crochet and knit. You are inspiring me to go for it.

Alison said...

I love the hat and scarf! Very chic!