Tuesday

Daddy, I forgive you for being disobedient.

Last night we had an interesting night. We were eating dinner (Spaghetti) and Kate was using her hands to eat. I know that as the new baby comes she will be regressing, as will Sarah, and acting more like a baby because it is so new. I have already noticed them both doing it, or maybe I am just more aware of it now. But Kate was eating with her fingers and acting like she didn't even have a fork n knife. I asked her to stop, and finally had to tell her to stop or I will take her food and she will be completely done eating, including dessert if we have it. Well, she picked up her fork for one bite and then ditched it for her hands, so I took away her plate. She moaned and wailed, but soon left the kitchen because I am sure she was done, anyway. She had eaten a lot of her food.

After that, she was fine, we did a little shopping. We went to the mall, and the girls saw Miss Ashley at Nordstrom, where she works. She was very happy to see them, and they were very happy to see her. Then we stopped by Home Depot really quick and I dropped and broke a $12 light bulb. I felt bad about that, but it happens sometimes. I want to replace the bulbs in my house with CFL, but they are pretty expensive, especially the ones that are compatible with the dimmer switches. There are 69 light bulbs in my house, and these bulbs cost about $6 average. So it adds up pretty quickly. Anyway, the girls were good for the most part. They got to ride in the Home Depot™ racecart. They were thrilled with that and Sarah was singing. I said I liked her singing, and she quipped "I am the radio."

So, we got home, and got the girls ready for bed and had family home evening. Last night's lesson was on forgiving people. We talked about forgiveness and what it meant and focused on us forgiving other people. Kate said forgiveness is "when you hit someone and they are sad, and you walk up to them and ask them what you can do to make them feel better. Like a hug and a kiss, see? Like that!" While Kate was saying hug and kiss, she would hug you and give you a kiss on the cheek. Right after that she was being a wild child. She was bouncing all over the place. I had to get stern with her and ever sent her out of the room for a little bit. She kept begging for a treat because Amy mentioned she wanted to make a treat as part of family home evening, but it was too late and we didn't have time. Sarah was being an angel the whole time. She was being so sweet, and she has been very sweet for the last few months, and very helpful. We had some little rice crispy treats that I was planning on being the treat. Kate was just being a little terror, and I told her because of her behavior, she was not going to get a treat. That didn't change anything. So I knew I had to do something.

I haven't done this very many times, maybe once or twice. Kate is so dramatic, so that could be part of the reason. But I went downstairs, got the treat and brought it upstairs. I opened it in their room, and gave Sarah some. Amy saw me and said I shouldn't do it, but consistency and follow through is very important. After I gave Sarah some, Kate got very happy and asked if she could have some, too. I told her no. She started crying right away when she realized that she wasn't getting any. I asked her what I told her about the treat and her behavior, and she remembered that I told her she couldn't have any. She was crying and said "Daddy, I forgive you for being disobedient". I don't think she quite got the concept of forgiveness straight. I tried to explain to her that she didn't forgive me for her being disobedient, she asks for forgiveness. So she cried and wept "Daddy, will you forgive me for being disobedient?" I of course said I did, but she still couldn't have the treat. So she cried some more, then got mad at me, then went to sleep.

So this morning, wonder of wonders, she was angelic. She got up right away when I asked her to, which is rare. She got dressed right away, got her shoes on and hair fixed before I even got back from my run. So I made them pancakes for breakfast and I didn't hear any fighting, or anything. They were both ready by the time I was ready. It did take us almost 30 minutes to get in the car, but that is just kids and their slowness. Kate did ask if she could have some rice crispy this morning, but I told her not in the morning and she was fine with it. I think I made a bit of an impact. I will have to wait and see what happens tonight.

1 comment:

Reuel and Ana said...

Thanks for puting up the comments page. the girls pictures are so cute.
love Dad